I thank God for surviving stroke attack in 2010, making me a six-year-old survivor to-date and ironically seeing the episode as something that happened yesterday! Actually, the whole thing is hell and back. It was on Tuesday 23rd, 2010 morning at around 6 am and because I was an early riser, I was unable to prepare my bath water as usual for unexplained reasons and developed severe confusion and fatigue which situation put me down! I never fell to incur any scar and thank God for that but the confusion aspect left me breathless and thinkless, because in a span of a minute or so I could hear people speak but could not answer and eventually after a while I ‘died’ out as I couldn’t hear or even know if I was alive or dead. A very difficult time in my life which I recall with lots of nostalgia! The whole scenario is complicated by the fact that it happened away from medical facility – rural setup. For five or so days I was in a comma! The first day my brother who works 40 km away from the dispensary facility he took me in the morning thought my problem was so simple to be fixed there and so left me there to go duty in the meanwhile expecting them to call him about my improvement. That was not to be! Now the second day I am taken to a ‘bigger’ and ‘better’ medical facility called level 5 where my handlers were more frustrated because they could only find a general practitioner [GP] and NOT a neurologist to treat me, the day was wasted and the third one I was taken to Tenwek Mission Hospital and were informed that the only neurologist was away in America but was expected the following day but still did not come. As you can see, this is the fourth day with stroke without treatment! The fifth day was approaching with the patient in a worsening condition while my brothers had at this juncture ran out of ideas on the next course of action. My dear wife who was all through on town brought an idea that changed my life, the idea of taking me to Kenyatta Teaching and Referral Hospital, the premier hospital in East and Central Africa. In Kenyatta Teaching and Referral Hospital I was able to be treated and stand up to this day and am very grateful to the Lord. I now started going for rehabilitation and medical clinics in Kenyatta T& R Hospital after discharge where I was attending three times a week and while attending, I noticed that each day a new stroke survivor come for rehabilitation! This prompted me to find out the reason for this trend, that stroke as a non–communicable disease (NCD) has taken its toll on Kenyans with little realization! I started a crusade to tell survivors and Kenyans about stroke as a lifestyle disease and is treatable and getting stroke is NOT an end to life. I promised myself that no Kenyan will die of stroke again and that’s how the idea of Stroke Association Of Kenya was born! On May 5th, 2015, stroke association of Kenya (SAOK) was registered in Kenya as a national organization for the stroke survivors under the registrar of societies and currently has about 120 members. Finally, I could like to thank the following special personalities for the roles played by them towards my well- being that I enjoy till now: 1. My Dear wife Eucabeth Bosibori who worked tirelessly to ensure that as a stroke patient and husband, I was properly catered for – indeed a very compassionate companion who has stood by me to date. She has made sure that all lessons concerning my wellness and rehabilitation are followed to the latter. 2. Micah Anuunda – his presence was critical in taking me to hospital 3. Oriina, Nyangeena and Nyauuncho are all brothers who played initial roles of taking me to hospital. I pray to the Almighty God to help me be a good steward, kind humanitarian and above all be an excellent engager. Wish all stroke survivors a stroke-free environment in where we live!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *